Flashback Friday: Mosaic's National Office Marks 25th Anniversary

The Lind Center in the early morning.

The Lind Center is Mosaic’s national headquarters in Omaha, Neb. Originally built as Bethphage’s headquarters, it was dedicated Jan. 25, 1992. The building is modeled after the design chosen by the Rev. K.G. William Dahl for Bethphage Mission in 1916. Construction began in 1991, making this year the building's 25th anniversary.

The Lind Center is named in honor of Svante and Anna Kajsa Lind, Swedish immigrants who settled in Phelps County in 1879, not far from where Bethphage was later founded in 1913. A plaque in The Lind Center’s lobby states: “Their descendants have been significantly involved in the formation and development of Bethphage Mission and continue to affirm and support it as a serving arm of the church.” 

Among those descendants is Ruth Lind Scott who, with her husband, William, made a substantial leadership gift toward the construction of The Lind Center. Former President and CEO David Jacox called The Lind Center “a fitting tribute to a devout pioneer Lutheran family and their descendants who have faithfully served and supported Bethphage and the Lutheran Church.”

Most of the construction costs were cover by donors, which allowed the ministry to stay focused on its mission of providing excellent service to people with intellectual disabilities. 

A prominent feature is the Pastor
 K.G. William Dahl Chapel, which provides staff members a place to gather for worship and devotions. It even served as the worship site for the ordination of the Rev. Dr. Jim Fruehling, great-grandson of the Martin Luther Homes founder Rev. William Fruehling.

Many rooms carry biblical names such as
 Berea and Carmel, following the
 tradition of naming buildings in 
that manner on Bethphage’s Axtell campus. Other rooms are named after generous donors, such as the Palmer Room, named for Max and Elayne Palmer, the Swanson Room, named for the Rev. Dr. Rueben and Darlene Swanson, the Nelson Room, named for Carl Nelson, and the Paul Hultquist Library.

To view more of Mosaic's historical information click here.

Add new comment

Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.